If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (410) 867-3590

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Cigarette Fire Safety

9/20/2023 (Permalink)

We recently had an emergency call come in where the homeowner experienced a large fire loss due to a cigarette. We want to ensure smokers in the Edgewater area are smoking safely and understand the risks associated with smoking involving their house. It is important for smokers to know the steps they can take to keep themselves and their families safe from fire. Here are some tips from SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian that could help protect you or someone you know who smokes.  

Smoke outside. Many things in your home can catch on fire if they come in contact with some like cigarette ashes. 

Put cigarettes out ALL THE WAY. Do this every time. Do not walk away from lit cigarettes or other smoking materials. 

Be alert. Do not smoke after taking medicine that makes you tired or drowsy.  

 Never smoke around medical oxygen. Medical oxygen can explode if a flame or spark is near, even if the oxygen is turned off.  

Never smoke in bed. Mattresses and bedding can catch on fire easily. People also fall asleep often with lit cigarettes. 

Put your cigarette out in an ashtray or bucket with sand. Use ashtrays with a wide base so they will not tip over and start a fire.  

Smoking safely and knowing what to do in the event of an emergency could mean the difference between limiting damage to your home and losing everything. If you experience a fire loss, call SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian at 410-867-3590.  

Other News

View Recent Posts