SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deal-Churchton/Lothian specializes in mold remediation. It’s common for us to get calls from commercial building owners who have concerns with mold. Sometimes it seems even small water damages that aren't properly dried out have the potential to create ideal conditions for mold to grow, don’t let this happen in your building.
Here are a few things you can do to keep moisture away which will in turn keep the mold away:
- Keep the humidity between 30-60 percent.
- Provide for proper drainage away from the building foundation.
- Regularly inspect plumbing and appliances for leaks.
- Keep gutters and drains clear of debris.
- Inspect the roof, windows and other areas where water might enter the building and perform necessary maintenance.
- Respond to all water intrusions immediately.
Got mold? Contact us, SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deal-Churchton/Lothian at (410) 867-3590 for assistance after water damage or if you find mold. We are #Here2Help
Types of Smoke and Smoke Remediation
In the restoration business, SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian gets called to building fires on a regular basis. Did you know that smoke damage is treated differently? There are 4 main types that we treat:
- Wet Smoke. (Plastic and Rubber) Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, and smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
- Dry Smoke. (Paper and Wood) Fast-burning, high temperatures; heat rises; therefore, smoke rises.
- Protein Fire Residue. (Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire) Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
- Fuel Oil Soot. (Furnace puff backs) While “puff backs” can create havoc for homeowners, SERVPRO of Annapolis/Severna Park can, in most cases, restore the contents and structure quickly.
- Other Types. (Tear gas, fingerprint powder, and fire extinguisher residue) Special loss situations require special care.
SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian technicians are IICRC trained to handle even the toughest of losses. The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process, but trust professionals to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Commercial Water Damage
SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian provides mitigation services for all lower Anne Arundel County residents. Recently we did a job for a management company that suffered a sprinkler system malfunction in one of their buildings. Several businesses suffered water damage and needed our help. There was extensive damage to the flooring and walls and, because everyone was working remotely during the pandemic, it was some time before the damage was discovered.
When we arrived at the location, we were fast to start removing non-salvageable items and getting the structure to start to dry. Then came the herculean task of helping to package content for storage until the structure had been restored. We were able to quickly get a storage container placed in the parking lot and moved the contents into it. Once the structure had dried, drywall was replaced, walls painted and flooring was replaced we were able to assist in the replacement of the office furniture in the business, to help the business get back to full operation quickly.
Although a commercial loss is different than a residential loss the desired result is the same, returning the customer's life back to normal as quickly as possible. We at SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian take that to heart and do everything we can to make it happen. Call us at 410-923-6166 if you find yourself in need of service. We are available 24-7, 7 days a week. You can count on our team to get your business back up and running fast.
Hurricane Season Is Upon Us
It is that time of the year again - the dreaded hurricane season. Do you know what you need to do to be prepared? Hurricanes can pose a serious threat to both your life and property. These natural disasters produce winds ranging from 74 to 200 miles per hour. A storm with that much power can cause catastrophic damage and severe flooding. If your home or business sustains high winds or heavy rain you may need to survive on your own for several days. Don’t wait until the storm hits to get your supplies together. Start now so you can stay safe.
Here’s a list of basic emergency supplies to have on hand:
- Flashlights and extra batteries
- Portable battery-operated radio and extra batteries
- First aid kit
- Emergency food and water
- Non-electric can opener
- Essential medicines and supplies
If a storm or hurricane causes water or structural damage to your home or business, SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian is just a phone call away.
In Need of Commercial Cleaning Services? There's a PRO for That!
Have you made some modifications to your business since the start of the pandemic? Or maybe you added some walls or changed out the carpet? Do you need some post construction cleaning done? Once the floors are down and the drywall is painted, it is time to remove the debris and dust to prepare the building to welcome your customers and employees back.
For business owners in the Deale area, trust SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian to provide professional cleaning services to give that building that extra shine. These services can include, but are not limited to:
- Carpet/Floor prep and cleaning
- Ceiling, walls and fixture cleaning
- Air Duct Cleaning
- Debris Removal (if necessary)
- Window Cleaning
SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian can help you meet your deadlines by providing thorough post construction services in a timely manner. Call us to schedule a walk-through of your business to review recommendations at 410-867-3590! With over 45 years of restoration experience, our professionals can make any size disaster “Like it never even happened.”
Flooded Basement? Wet Carpet? Odor Removal? We Got It Covered.
SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian offers restoration services to homeowners, insurance companies, commercial businesses, and property managers in the Edgewater and South County communities. Our water damage restoration services include water removal, emergency water extraction, drying and dehumidification, carpet restoration, and mold and odor removal.
We can help you with any water-related damage from pipe breaks, basement floods, storms, hurricanes, roof leaks or sewage backups. Our technicians inspect your property to assess the unseen damage as well as the obvious visible damage. Our trained and certified teams use technology such as moisture meters and hygrometers to help complete a thorough cleanup of your property. The team will communicate with you throughout the drying process and walk you through the entire restoration step by step. We are available to assist you twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, service you need when you need it.
SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian is always here to help so call us at 410-867-3590!
Did you know that Edgewater is susceptible to flood damage? If you have lived in Edgewater for quite some time, you are probably well aware of this. Flood prone zones can cause severe damage to homes and businesses in the area. Whether the flood comes from a flash flood, natural flood, major river or tropical storm, the damage can be extensive. In order to stay safe from flood hazards, SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian has some tips for you to follow for before and after a flood occurs.
Before a flood
- Make sure your insurance policy covers flooding. Even renters are eligible for flood insurance.
- Move furniture and valuables to higher floors as floodwater rises.
- Keep the car gas tank filled in case you need to evacuate.
- Stay informed about weather conditions.... flash flooding can occur in only minutes!
Do not drive through flooded roadways. The road may not be there. Follow the instructions given by emergency officials. If told to evacuate, do so!
After a flood
- Do not eat or drink anything that encounters flood water.
- Follow emergency officials' instructions on safe water consumption. You may have to boil your water.
- Clean and have electrical equipment checked before using.
- Report broken utilities to the proper authorities.
- Use flashlights, not an open flame like a candle. Candles are a fire hazard and could cause an explosion if they encounter flammable gases.
- Watch out for snakes and other "stray" animals. Water will cause snakes to come out of the ground with nowhere to go. Many other animals may be abandoned and lost.
- Remember, floodwaters sometimes take days to rise, even when the sun is shining. It can take days for floodwaters to make their way downstream. Do not underestimate the power and speed at which flood water can rise and destroy everything in its path.
If a flood occurs in the Edgewater area and affects your home or business, call our PROs here at SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian and we can make it “Like it never even happened.”
4 Things You Can Do in the Event of a Power Outage
Throughout the summer, Anne Arundel County sees massive thunderstorms roll through. The warm air, the rolling sound of the thunder in the background and the streaks of lightning light up the night sky is like nature's version of fireworks. However, with every thunderstorm, there is the probability of a power outage. Here are 4 things SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian recommends in the event of a power outage:
Be Prepared. The best way to ensure business continuity is by being prepared. SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian can help you develop an Emergency Readiness Plan (ERP).
Install Surge Protectors. Install a plug-in, point-of-use electrical surge protector. You plug this device into a grounded electrical outlet and plug your appliances and computers into the surge protector.
Battery Backups. If your property has a sump pump in the basement or crawl space, make sure the sump pump has a battery backup. Battery backups are also important for network servers.
Contact Utility Company. When your office or home loses power, be sure to contact BGE, which provides power to most of Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Visit www.bge.com or call to report outages at 877-778-2222. If you see sparking power lines, immediately call 9-1-1.
Normally, a short power outage is no big deal, but the longer the power is out the potential for damage to a home or business increases.
Contents Claim Inventory Services
Often when people think of restoration, or the restoration industry, they picture groups of trained professionals coming to their home or business, ripping out some drywall and carpet, and setting fans and dehumidifiers to dry out an area. What most people do not think about, is where do their belongings go that were either affected by the intruding damage or are near the affected area. Many residents do not have extra space for their personal belongings or the proper cleaning equipment for contents affected by water or fire damage.
Luckily for home and business owners in Anne Arundel County, SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian offers contents claim inventory services. Through this service, our restoration professionals carefully pack out any contents, move them to our warehouse and restore them to preloss condition. Through this service, we are capable of providing room-by-room detailed contents listings and track these items in a detailed report through Microsoft Excel. In our spreadsheet, we will list the type of content, the condition, the quantity and the post-loss condition. These items are categorized as either total loss items, questionable items and restorable items.
If you or someone you know has recently experienced a fire or water loss, call SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian at 410-867-3590!
Move Fast when Water Damage Strikes
We’ve all been there...Sitting at the kitchen table and someone spills a glass of water. Quick! Clean it up! How does that relate to water that spills out of a pipe? Is it so important to clean water from your property?
SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian offers 24/7 water mitigation services because of the importance of quick remediation. Here’s a timeline of how water can create damage in your Edgewater home or Deale business:
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
When it comes to water in your property, the key to lowering your expenses and minimizing damages is get it cleaned quickly.