Why is it so Important to Get Water Cleaned Up Quickly?
We’ve all been there...Sitting at the kitchen table and someone spills a glass of water. Quick! Clean it up! How does that relate to water that spills out of a pipe? Is it so important to clean water from your property?
SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian offers 24/7 water mitigation services because of the importance of quick remediation. Here’s a timeline of how water can create damage in your Edgewater home or Deale business:
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, saturating everything in its path.
- Water is absorbed into walls, floors, upholstery, and belongings.
- Furniture finishes may bleed, causing permanent staining on carpets.
- Photographs, books, and other paper goods start to swell and warp.
Hours 1 - 24:
- Drywall begins to swell and break down.
- Metal surfaces begin to tarnish.
- Furniture begins to swell and crack.
- Dyes and inks from cloth and paper goods spread and stain.
- A musty odor appears.
48 Hours to 1 Week:
- Mold and mildew may grow and spread.
- Doors, windows, and studs swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust and corrode.
- Furniture warps and shows signs of mold.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring swells and warps.
- Serious biohazard contamination is possible.
More Than 1 Week:
- Restoration time and cost increase dramatically; replacing contaminated materials and structural rebuilding may be extensive.
- Structural safety, mold growth, and biohazard contaminants pose serious risks to occupants.
When it comes to water in your property, the key to lowering your expenses and minimizing damages is get it cleaned quickly.