Mulch Fires in Harwood
There was a day or two of sunny weather in Galesville last week. Many homeowners took to cleaning up their yards and front porches. Cleaning up the flower beds was a big part of the yard cleanup at our house and that meant lots of mulch.
What many people do not know is that mulch is a combustible material and can easily be ignited. Hundreds of fires start this way each year according to Fire Engineering. Large mulch piles have been known to build up enough heat from internal decomposition and start a fire. Keeping mulch moist and raked is an effective way to prevent this from happening.
It is also important that cigarettes and matches are properly extinguished to avoid igniting mulch.
Fire cleanup is no easy task, SERVPRO of Edgewater/Deale-Churchton/Lothian are your fire restoration professionals.